Monday, September 05, 2005

memoirs of a festival floozy : #39 afterhours @ pleasance dome

My impersonator, Alun Cochrane, was the compere for this late night dose of comedy, showcasing Demetri Martin, Stewart Lee, some-guy-whose-name-I-cant-remember, and Jason Byrne.

As it was Afterhours, Alun was a tad saucier than during his own earlier evening show, and did a sterling job in getting the crowd's enthusiasm going for the night ahead.

First up, Demetri Martin. You just can't go wrong with Demetri Martin. He's reliable. This 2003 perrier award winner is consistently funny. Cute, subtle, cerebral humour that had me aching for more.

Next was some-guy-... I'm sorry I can't recall his name, but his act was the epitome of mediocrity. So, really, no great loss there.

Third in the firing line, I mean line-up, was Stewart Lee. The first time I saw him @ Spank!, he was really funny. Unfortunately, this was exactly the same routine, in its entirety. From other reviews of his own show (90's comedian), it seemed like it was all the same stuff he repeatedly produced. Funny the first time, but now wearing a little thin, and overall I was pretty disappointed.

Finally, as an antithesis, was Jason Byrne - nothing short of brilliant. This was pure, perfect improvisation from start to finish, and one of the highlights of my Fringe this year. I will definitely try and catch his show, should he decide to grace us with his presence next year. Fingers crossed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home